Here at Los Angeles Unified, we put our students at the center. We will continue to be one of the safest school districts in the country. Our health protocols protect everyone in our school communities.
This new school year offers us an opportunity to focus on the main priority: protecting students, but also accelerating and motivating them to reach their full potential.
Los Angeles Unified has always been one of the safest school districts in the nation. We’ve endured two very difficult years during the pandemic. We’ve always done the right thing. We have been informed by the science and medical experts.
We will Antigen at-home rapid test in advance of the beginning of the school year. We will test at the end of the first week. We will continue to distribute protective equipment to anyone who needs it. We will also guarantee effective social distancing: the way students eat, the way they arrive at school, the way they learn in school and the way they safely return home.
That’s our charge. That’s our commitment. That’s our guarantee.
We are not letting our guard down and will continue to adjust to science and virus trends:
- Maximize outdoor eating spaces during breakfast, snack time, lunch and supper. Schools will use their outdoor lunch areas, gardens and other inviting outdoor spaces to provide snacks and meals for students.
- Air quality enhancing technology deployment:
- The Merv 13 filters, when used with our HVAC systems, are better than any of the filters anyone’s offered to donate to us.
- We’ve done extensive studies measuring the effectiveness of our systems with the Merv 13 and various other self-contained filtering systems and in every case our systems performed equal to or better.
- Prior to the pandemic, we changed filters every three or four months based on the manufacturer’s recommendations. With our MERV 13 filters, because they trap more particles, we inspect every month and change as required.
- Ensuring ongoing enforcement of social distancing, as feasible. Signage and friendly alerts are posted around campuses as reminders.
- We are aligned with the recommendations from our science experts regarding:
- Masking Indoors: Indoor masking is strongly recommended at all Los Angeles Unified schools and workplaces. All schools have surgical masks available for distribution upon request to any student or employee.
- Vaccinations: Our employees are already vaccinated. We encourage all eligible students to be vaccinated as well, and all members of the school community to receive any boosters for which they are eligible.
- Baseline Testing: Antigen at-home rapid tests will be distributed to all students and staff and should be used within 48 hours prior to entering campus for the first day of school. We will also be distributing antigen at-home rapid tests at the end of the first week of school. All students and staff should also take a rapid test within 48 hours prior to the start of the second week of school.
- Weekly Testing: A “Response testing” protocol will be implemented during the 2022-2023 school year. Weekly asymptomatic COVID-19 testing is no longer required.
- Daily Pass: The Daily Pass will continue to be used to upload COVID-19 rapid antigen test results and vaccination records, monitor positive cases and to notify close contacts of a person who has tested positive. Students and employees do not need to generate a Daily Pass QR code to enter school campuses.
- Focus on teaching and learning:
- We are our students’ first contact. Let’s make a lasting impact.